Getting into the city from the Airport
From Melbourne Airport, take SkyBus to the Melbourne city terminal situated at Southern Cross Station (in Spencer Street). This normally costs approximately $18.00 each way, and does not need to be booked in advance. See airport buses for information about the public transport services which run to and from Melbourne Airport, including SkyBus and bus routes 478, 479, 500 and 901.
A taxi from the airport will take around 40 minutes and will cost approximately $50.00 Taxi ranks are located on the ground floor outside Terminals 1 and between Terminals 2 and 3.
Public transport to the University
The best way to get to the University is by public transport. Trams run along Royal Parade and Swanston Street, and buses run along Grattan Street directly outside the university campus.
You will need a myki™ card when travelling on public transport in Melbourne. You can buy and top up a myki™:
- At all 7-Eleven stores, plus other retailers displaying the myki sign
- At myki™ machines (full fare only) at all metropolitan train stations
- By calling 1800 800 007 (6am – midnight daily).
- At Melbourne Airport, myki™ machines have been installed in Terminals 2, 3 and 4; concession myki™ cards can be purchased from the SkyBus Terminal.
The University has plenty of bicycle parking across the campus. Bicycles can be hired through the bikeshare system at the University and at several locations around the city. Helmets are required by law, and can be purchased for $5 from 7-Eleven stores and vending machines at the University.
On-street parking is available, but very limited. There are multi-storey car parks within walking distance of the University.
There is a taxi rank outside the Royal Melbourne Hospital in Grattan Street. Major Melbourne taxi companies include:
- Arrow – 13 2211
- Black Cabs Combined – 13 2227
- Silver Top Taxis – 13 1008
- Wheelchair accessible taxis – 9265 4602 or 9277 3877